Sixth Form
TAP HERE TO FIND OUT
MORE ABOUT SCHS

Sixth Form

Entry procedure and requirements for existing SCHS pupils

Pupils in U5 (Year 11) of Streatham & Clapham High School are not required to submit an application form or submit a registration fee or deposit.  During the course of the academic year, the Head Master and Assistant Head Master will meet every U5 pupil with her parents to discuss her route into the Sixth Form, her A Level options and aspirations beyond formal study.

In order to enter the Sixth Form, existing pupils should achieve a minimum of 6 GCSEs at grades A*, A or B, including English and Mathematics, and A*-B grades in the subjects to be studied at A Level, if available at GCSE (an A* is preferable in the case of Mathematics). In the case of a subject being a new subject (for example, Psychology and Economics) alternative grade requirements may be set in other subjects. Candidates for Economics should have competent mathematical skills (grade B at GCSE) and the ability to write fluently (grade A*/A in English Language and Literature).

Entry procedure and requirements for external applicants

We encourage and welcome applications from external candidates. A completed application form should be submitted to:

Phyllis Warner, Registrar, Streatham & Clapham High School, 42 Abbotswood Road, London, SW16 1AW

Telephone: 020 3123 9102.  Fax: 020-8677 2001. Email: admissions@schs.gdst.net

The closing date for applications is 9 February 2018. Applications after this date may be considered on a case-by-case basis.

Places are awarded on one or more of the following criteria:

• A minimum of 6 GCSEs at grades A*, A or B (or equivalent in the new GCSE grading system), including English and Mathematics, and A*/A grades in the subjects to be studied at A Level, if available at GCSE.
  • A satisfactory reference from the applicant’s current school, indicating a good academic record.
  • Satisfactory interviews with the Head Master and Assistant Head Mistress (who is the Head of Sixth Form), at which precise course options are discussed.
  • A satisfactory performance in an entrance-examination paper (not subject-specific).

HSBC Scholarships

We are very grateful to the HSBC banking group for sponsoring two HSBC scholarships to bright girls entering our Sixth Form from state schools. Like our GDST bursaries, HSBC places are awarded on academic merit and are also means-tested. Subject to the applicant's family meeting the financial criteria in the first place, HSBC scholarships are then awarded on the basis of excellent performance in the school's scholarship assessment and the character and potential that the applicant exhibits at interview.

HSBC scholarship awards are reviewed annually to take into account any change in the family's circumstances. However, we generally expect that our scholarship awards will remain throughout a girls' career at Streatham & Clapham High School, subject to good progress and excellent behaviour.

HSBC Scholarship Application Form

Progression to the Upper Sixth Form

Progression to the Upper Sixth Form is dependent on a satisfactory level of performance in the Lower Sixth which indicates the prospect of success at A Level.  It is in the final instance at the discretion of the Head Master and Assistant Head Mistress. Satisfactory interviews with the Head Master and Assistant Head Mistress (who is the Head of Sixth Form), at which precise course options are discussed.

Opportunities to visit and find out more

We welcome visits from prospective sixth-form students currently at other schools. Potential applicants are strongly encouraged to attend Sixth Form Open Evening (date for this year has passed, please contact the school for a visit). 

Senior School Application Form (PDF, 123 KB)

To register interest in this event, or to find out more, please contact:

Registrar, Streatham & Clapham High School, 42 Abbotswood Road, London, SW16 1AW.

Telephone: 020 3123 9102.  Fax: 020 8677 2001 or email us.