Academic Ethos
TAP HERE TO FIND OUT
MORE ABOUT SCHS

Academic Ethos

Inspiring achievement beyond expectation

The school takes much pride in its students’ excellent academic performance, reflecting an unstinting commitment to fulfilling each student’s potential and a culture in which each is encouraged to take intellectual risk, to think independently, and to extend herself beyond expectation.

A very wide range of A Level subjects is offered, taught by an expert and dedicated team of staff who constantly inspire and support their students’ studies.  Class sizes are small, promoting rapid academic progress and enabling students to achieve the highest possible grades in their chosen disciplines and to win a place at the university of their choice.  Sixth-form students thus grow personally and intellectually in a way that prepares them for undergraduate study and the challenges of their future careers.

In order to achieve such excellence, students work much more independently and take greater responsibility for organising their work in and outside school. They are encouraged to be intellectually curious. The pace of work is challenging and requires motivation and self-discipline; success in examinations and the fulfilment of academic potential are also contingent on how engaged students are and how much effort is invested in their studies.

There is regular contact with parents through informal and formal meetings and academic-progress reports. All parents are invited to arrange an appointment with the Assistant Head Mistress at any time if they wish to discuss a particular issue.

Academic success can flourish only when students really get involved in scholarly activities beyond the confines of the classroom. You will find our sixth formers going overseas to improve their language proficiency, joining with other schools to develop leadership skills, entering prestigious poetry and public-speaking competitions and national essay contests, and writing articles for our sixth-form academic journal (The Common Room). Learning things, after all, should be exciting.